Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, is the world's longest and highest glass-bottomed bridge
Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, is the world's longest and highest glass-bottomed bridge.
It offers a way to enjoy a panoramic view of the stunning Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon — if you dare to walk on it! It doesn't just serve as a walkway — visitors can go bungee jumping and zip-lining off of it as well.
- Length: 430 meters (1,410 feet)
- Width: 6 meters (20 feet)
- Height: 300 meters (984 feet)
- Highlights: an awesome skywalk; bungee jump; beautiful views of towering sandstone pillars
How to Buy Tickets to Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge
There are three types of tickets. As a maximum of 600 people are allowed on the glass bridge at one time, visitors are allowed to enter in batches. The entering time is set when booking the ticket.
|Ticket Type||Cost||Entering Time||Time Needed for a Visit|
|Ticket A for the Grand Canyon only||118 yuan||
|Ticket B for the canyon and glass bridge||256 yuan||
|Ticket C for the glass bridge only||138 yuan||16:20–18:30||40 minutes|
You’d better enter the park during the reserved time; otherwise the ticket will automatically be invalidated.
Book Tickets in Advance
Visitors need to book a ticket from the official website in advance, as no tickets are sold on the spot except for discounted tickets for kids, students, and senior people.
The official website only accepts bookings made with a Chinese identity card number. Being a foreign visitor, you’d better book through a travel agency. We suggest you book at least 10 days in advance.
How to Tour the Glass Bridge and the Grand Canyon
5 Steps to Access the Glass Bridge
1. Leave your luggage if you want to. There is a luggage storage area before the check-in entrance where you can leave your belongings for a fee (5 yuan per piece of small luggage and 10 yuan per piece of large luggage).
2. Go through security.
3. Have your tickets and passport checked.
4. Wear the protective shoe covers.
5. Walk out onto the glass bridge.
What to Bear in Mind
- The glass bridge is likely to close in severe weather.
- Visitors can only take mobiles and small-sized bags on the bridge.
- Do not attempt it if you have heart problems, high blood pressure, or a fear of heights.
- Don't behave dangerously. Don't run on the bridge, lean over the rail, etc.
Know Before You Go
Leaving Luggage Is Time Consuming
The tour trail is one-way. The entrance is on the mountain and the exit is at the bottom. The distance is about 3 kilometers. To retrieve your baggage, you have to return back to the entrance after your tour.
To save time and energy depositing and retrieving your baggage, you are recommended to go there with just your wallet, passport, smartphone (or snapshot camera), and a small handbag.
Try to Avoid the Crowds
The glass bridge is very popular with visitors from home and abroad. It is crowded most of the time. We advise our customers to try to avoid the following periods when the park is particularly crowded:
- National Day Holiday (October 1–7)
- Labor Day Holiday (May 1–3)
If your travel dates happen to be during these periods, our experienced guide will help you to avoid the crowds.
It is recommended that you start your day early and try to arrive before large bus tour groups.
The Scenic Grand Canyon Walk
Using the Glass Bridge, you will take a 2–3 hour scenic walk down into the valley. You start by walking down thousands of stairs built into a thin crevasse in the canyon wall, then travel along the river at the bottom. Finally, you will take a boat ride to the exit.
The long walk is energy-consuming but you will be rewarded with peaceful and beautiful scenery. Get your camera ready for the overhanging cliffs, waterfalls, the lush green forest, and the running stream.
This canyon walk is not recommended for those who don’t like hiking or those who are not physically fit.
There is a slide to go down a short distance instead of walking, which costs about 20 yuan. There is also a zip line across the stream at a cost of 35 yuan.
How to Travel to Zhangjiajie Glass Bridge
The city of Zhangjiajie is easily accessible by airplane or train from the main cities of China, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xi'an, Changsha, Shenyang, Qingdao, Shenzhen. Check the details on Zhangjiajie transportation.
From Downtown Zhangjiajie
Take a bus from Zhangjiajie City Bus Station (张家界市中心汽车站) to Wulingyuan (武陵源) Bus Station. The travel time is about an hour. Then take a bus directly to the canyon.
From Wulingyuan Scenic Area
Take the "Wulingyuan–Grand Canyon" line (武陵源–大峡谷) at Wulingyuan Bus Station. It takes about 40 minutes. Once in the Grand Canyon, follow the signs and people to reach the glass bridge.
Different from Zhangjiajie's Tianmen Mountain Glass Skywalks
There are three glass skywalks in Tianmen Mountain Scenic Area, which is about 85 kilometers away from Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge.
Different from the Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge hanging in the air, Tianmen Mountain Glass Skywalks are built along the edges of the mountains' summits, clinging to the vertical cliffs at a height of over 1,400 meters (4,600 feet).
Similar to the glass bridge, the glass skywalks will give you a thrilling feeling, like you are walking in the sky. If, unfortunately, you do not get a ticket for the glass bridge, you can try the glass skywalks.
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park is China's first national forest park, featuring Zhangjiajie's classic rocky tower scenery.
- Tianmen Mountain is the highest peak in Zhangjiajie and is regarded as the soul of Zhangjiajie. It has been called “one of the most beautiful mountains in the world” by many travelers.
- Baofeng Lake is a freshwater lake in the Wulingyuan Scenic Area. It is enjoyable to take a relaxing boat ride on the crystal-clear lake.
Experience the Glass-Bottomed Bridge and World-Class Scenery on Your China Tour
When the glass-bottomed bridge opened, it became another of many highlights of Zhangjiajie. If you want to enjoy the stunning scenery and awesome attractions of Zhangjiajie, see most popular tours below for inspiration:
- 1-Day Glass Bridge and Baofeng Lake Tour: You will walk on Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge and take a cruise on Baofeng Lake.
- 4-Day Essence of Zhangjiajie Tour — Zhangjiajie National Park, Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge, and Tianmen Mountain tour
- 7-Day Hunan Discovery Tour — natural and cultural discovery tour